Sunday, October 16, 2011

Shades of Autumn: Yellow 10.15.11

I love Saturdays! Lately I have been spending them photographing and trying out techniques I learn during the week. On a great Saturday of shooting I get in two "sessions." This Saturday was a great Saturday! I spent the morning at a roadside stand and pumpkin patch photographing pumpkins for the Good to Wow Challenge. I then spent the evening at the Tmobile Building in Factoria capturing one of the most beautiful sunsets I have seen that is not at the beach. These pictures will be shared throughout the week.

During my great Saturday of shooting I also found quite a few examples of the color of the week for the Shades of Autumn Challenge - yellow. I didn't have too much trouble finding the color yellow. I was very excited when I saw the results of my shooting as I played around a bit with white balance after reading a post by Courtney at Click it Up a Notch and the article she referenced. While I was not ready to go with Kelvin White Balance fully, I did choose a setting other than auto to match the conditions. Most of these were photographed using the Cloudy White Balance setting. They were edited with Adobe Lightroom 3 with just minor adjustments to basic settings and some yellow hue shift to really make the yellow pop. I would love to know what you think!

Settings: ISO 200, 55mm, ss1/200, f/5.6 (full manual)
Taken at Frager Farm Stand and Pumpkin Patch in Kent, WA

Settings: ISO 400, 55mm, ss1/100, f/6.3 (full manual)
Taken at Old Fishing Hole in Kent, WA

Settings: ISO 800, 55mm, ss1/40, f/4.0 (full manual on a tripod)
Taken at the Tmobile Building in Factoria

Settings: ISO 200, 55mm, ss1/320, f/5.6 (full manual)
Taken at the Frager Farm Stand in Kent, WA
"I know the lands are lit, with all the autumn blaze of Goldenrod." - Helen Hunt Jackson

Linking up with the Shades of Autumn Challenge. Check out the other yellow shots!
Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge

11 comments:

  1. love your composition of gourds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a terrific job! when I play with white balance my photos look just plain weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In from Shades of Autumn. Love your bucket of gourds. Thanks for visiting and commenting at Grandmas-Camera. So thoughtful of you. I hope to be back on Tuesday with an entry for your photo challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful! Love the yellow leaves! Thanks for the link; I am really trying to learn more about white balance--I think it can make the biggest difference in my SOOC shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Those pics are beautiful! Love the gorgeous shades of yellow/orange.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome photos! i love them all

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful yellows - love the fishing hole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great collection of shots and I like how you note what settings you use on each photo, it helps me to understand settings better.

    Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, these are gorgeous! I love the last one, so pretty. I've been reading a lot about Kelvin white balance lately too, unfortunately my camera wont allow me to dial it in, so I have to use a card to set it manually.

    Thanks for taking part in the Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge, I hope you'll join us next Friday for the colour orange :)

    http://www.bumblesandlight.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic shots! First time here. Love your space.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.