Thursday, September 15, 2011

Good to Wow Edit: Seattle Skyline at Night 09.10.11

As I mentioned on Monday, this is my first week linking up with Shoot and Edit: Good to Wow Challenge. It was Open House today at my school and so it was a long, exhausting day! Despite that I had to edit these photos as I had been thinking about what I was going to do all week. Below is the SOOC of the Seattle Skyline and then the edited version. I wasn't going to edit this photo as I really liked it as it was. However, after checking out Ashley's tutorial on noise reduction with Lightroom I wanted to give that a try. This led to me editing the photo before reducing the noise. I warmed up the white balance and then played with all of the basic settings. This was followed by reducing the color and luminance noise. I really like how the edit took a bit of the brightness out of the Space Needle and one of the skyscrapers.

Before 
Taken with Canon EOS Rebel Ti1 
Settings: ISO 400, 74mm, ss3.2, f/6.3 (full manual on tripod)

After
Edited with Adobe Lightroom

I also edited my moon photo. I cropped it to make the moon fill up the frame a bit more. Then I added a cloud texture in GIMP after being inspired by Jaymi's extreme editing. I then opened it back up in Lightroom and converted it to black and white and played with the basic settings. Finally, I did a bit of noise reduction. For my first try with textures I think it turned out ok, but I am not sure if the clouds compete too much with the moon and I don't like how much definition the moon lost. 

Before 
Taken with Canon EOS Rebel Ti1 
Settings: ISO 100, 250mm, ss1/100, f/10 (full manual on tripod)

After
Edited with Adobe Lightroom
“In photography there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality.” – Alfred Stieglitz


Linking up with Good to Wow: Edit and Pixel Perfect Before and After Blog Hop. Check out the amazing before and afters!

 

7 comments:

  1. Both photos are truly gorgeous. I love the edits to the first of the Space Needle. The city just pops out of the photo. While I loved the moon photo before, the addition of the clouds gives the moon reference point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, I've enjoyed my visit here. Your photos are lovely. I especially enjoy them because Seattle is my favorite city and I hope to live there someday. "sigh" Love your night shots. I've taken many photos of Seattle but haven't been able to capture the night skyline like this. Exceptional! Kerry Park, is that near Queen Anne Hill?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these edits are really nice - you've kept your editing very subtle and clean. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree with Ashley- nicely done. I really like how you warmed up the first shot- just enough. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. both photos blow me away! The edits look great the skyline is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous. They really went from good to wow. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm doing a Monday Blog Hop for posting your favorite picture... check it out if you'd like... I would love to have you. Traci

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/09/capturing-beauty.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.